I’m Back Y’all!!

It’s good to be back, but it was definitely bittersweet leaving Georgia. We were able to stay a whole week and see all of the family while we were there. We spent most of our time driving from house to house and just hanging out with the family, but we did get to do a couple of other things while we were there too.

Saturday, April 30th
We got up SUPER early to head out so we could miss all of the traffic and so we wouldn’t be getting into Georgia too late. If you are from Texas or have been to Texas, you know that it takes FOREVER to get out. We ended up being detoured twice because roads were completely flooded. We had packed a bunch of snacks and drinks, so we only had to stop twice to get gas and to use the bathroom. It took us 13-14 hours to get to our uncle’s house and we just lounged around the rest of the evening after getting there.

Sunday, May 1st (MY BIRTHDAY)
We got up early and picked up our other uncle and his son and went to the flea market that our uncle goes to regularly. We ate breakfast there, which was really good, and walked around for maybe 40 minutes then left. We then drove about an hour to see our cousin and her new house, which is a small beautiful log cabin by the water. We visited for a little bit, but then headed back so we could drop our uncle off and so we could go back to the house that we were staying at. The rest of the family came over that evening, we barbecued and celebrated my birthday. There was cake, cupcakes, and wine…perfect birthday! lol!

Processed with MOLDIV
Processed with MOLDIV

Monday, May 2nd
Our plans were to go back to our cousin’s cabin and have another barbecue with some of the family. We stopped at Wal-Mart on our way there to pick up groceries and we saw a man and a tortoise hanging out in the grass across from the store. Of course we had to stop and get out. The man said he takes the tortoise around so people can see him and said that he has had this certain one for about 34 years. When we were in Wal-Mart, we bought some squash to feed him. We then continued on our way to the cabin, where we spent the rest of the evening fishing, cooking and eventually spending the night.

Processed with MOLDIV
Processed with MOLDIV

Tuesday, May 3rd
We got up and headed to a different town so we could meet another cousin and her husband at his shop. We went and had lunch, then we rode around and saw where my husband’s grandparents were buried, where my father-in-law and his brothers grew up, and where my husband’s great uncle lives. We ended our day by going to our cousin’s house and spending the night there.

Wednesday, May 4th
My husband got up really early so he could go to Atlanta with his cousin’s husband to pick up a tractor so I slept in. Eventually we all met up and decided to go to the mountains, which were absolutely beautiful, a little chilly, and we were told we could see 4 different states from the top. On our way back from the mountains, we stopped at a waterfall and a winery/vineyard, which had an amazing view as well. My husband wanted to buy me something for my birthday while we were in Georgia, so he bought me a couple bottles of wine and I was also able to get my mom a Mother’s Day gift while we were there. That evening, we met up with our uncle and went and saw my husband’s great uncle in the rehab center. He has been very sick and sadly, that will probably be the last time we see him. That night, we went back to the very first house that we stayed at and this is where we stayed the remainder of our trip.

Processed with MOLDIV
Processed with MOLDIV

Thursday, May 5th
We literally did nothing. I think we were so worn out from constantly going so it was nice to catch a breather. The other uncle and his girlfriend came over and we all had dinner together and we had yummy margaritas since it was Cinco de Mayo. The weather was a little nasty that day.

Friday, May 6th
That was another lazy day pretty much. We just hung around the house until it was time to go to a dinner with held by family my husband never even knew existed. It was really cool getting to meet all of them and hearing stories about my father-in-law and other family. Afterwards, we went back to our uncle’s house and visited with him and his wife a little bit more before going to bed.

Saturday, May 7th
This was the day we left. We actually stopped and ate this time and we also stopped at my mom’s house to deliver her gift. It was tough leaving Georgia, even though it always feels nice going home. For those of you who don’t know, my father-in-law passed away almost a year ago. Being in his hometown, seeing where he grew up, spending time with his family, and hearing all of these stories about him, WITHOUT him, was just heartbreaking. My husband and I talked about him constantly and wished the whole time that he was in that backseat with us telling his own stories. I know he was with us in his own way, though.

I know this was a long post, but I just wanted to share our adventure with you all.
I hope you enjoyed this post and that you have a bad Ash day!! 🙂 


9 thoughts on “I’m Back Y’all!!”

  1. Welcome back! And Happy belated Birthday.

    I know how you feel about your father-in-law. My husband’s parents have passed away years ago – but we still talk about them quite often. It’s sad they’re gone but we’ll have them in our memory forever.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s